Craniosacral therapy (CST)
Craniosacral Therapy (CST) is a gentle yet profound non-invasive, hands-on treatment for the whole body. With its subtle therapeutic approach, the body in its totality has an opportunity to realign and heal. There are natural movements and rhythms within the body which are orchestrated by an organising force, which is life itself. This is the force we connect with during a CST treatment, which among many things slows down people into a greater awareness of themselves, body, mind and soul. Due to a variety of reasons such as stress, trauma, attachment issues, and strong parental and social conditionings this force gets compromised, compressed, repressed, bottled up, creating inertia, fragmentation, and lack of flow in our systems, experienced as dis-eases. Dis-ease of the mind, dis-ease of the body and dis-ease of the soul.
Much more than a mechanical approach with techniques, CST is a therapeutic approach, which relies on the therapist’s depth of presence to their client’s unfolding somatic expressions and rhythms. The therapeutic relationship between client and therapist is of major importance in facilitating and supporting the natural impulse of the body, which constantly seeks health and balance. In this deep listening to what unfolds during a session the client’s body starts a process towards a more coherent body/mind imprint. A feeling that you have been heard in the truest sense of the word is a common experience during and after a Craniosacral session.
Having trained as a holistic counsellor has helped me to add to my CST treatments essential verbal skills, the use of imagination and creativity, which was not part of my CST training. The idea is to empower you by engaging your attention to the sensations, images, and feelings that takes place within a treatment. By naming what you are experiencing at times and engaging with the therapist verbally makes CST treatment very powerful. In other words, you develop a deep connection to who you are or are becoming, understanding about yourself through your body's communication.
CST the way I approach it, is like a type of body psychotherapy. The body with its sensations is the door in for the microcosm of you, which is huge and magnificent. It is a process that requires time and commitment in order for you to fully benefit from it.
- Lower levels of anxiety and panic attacks
- Relieves stress, balances the hormonal and nervous systems
- Releases restrictions in the surrounding connective tissues (bones, cartilages, tendons,ligaments, fascia, blood and lymph)
- Enhances organ function and increases overall vitality
- It helps with shock and trauma
- Resolves insomnia, digestive and menstrual issues
- Helps people who are recovering from strokes
- Supports women through perimenopause and menopause
- Improves and enhances sexual energy
- Enhances Post-Operative Rehabilitation.
Benefits before, during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum
Some benefits for babies and toddlers
- It creates the right environment for trauma to be released
- It helps to bring the skull bones back into the right shape
- It releases shock and trauma from invasive procedures such as ventouse, forceps, c-sections
- Supports breastfeeding and sleeping
- It resolves misalignment of spine and head
- Supports babies that are premature and babies experiencing medical conditions
- It helps with chronic pain, neurological conditions and ear infection